The Quakake Railroad was chartered on April 25, 1857 to build a connection between the Beaver Meadow Railroad (the Lehigh Valley Railroad's Hazleton Branch) and the Catawissa, Williamsport and Erie Railroad. The full line opened on August 25, 1858 from Black Creek Junction on the Beaver Meadow Railroad west to Quakake Junction on the Catawissa, and was at first operated by the Catawissa.
A charter supplement issued on March 21, 1860 allowed an extension to Delano, the headwaters of Mahanoy Creek, and down the creek into Mount Carmel, where it would connect to the Northern Central Railway's Shamokin Valley and Pottsville Railroad, which was built later that year. The company went into foreclosure in 1862, and was reorganized as the Lehigh and Mahanoy Railroad. On June 30, 1866 the company was merged into the Lehigh Valley Railroad, which had been incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company in 1846, and whose name was changed to Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1853.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was here. The list of authors can be seen here. As with the Coal Region Notebook, the content of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|